Thursday, July 9, 2009

Amusement ....virtual joy?

Blog -- Amusement

 

I’m sitting in the backyard of the beautiful place I’m staying in Rosh Pinna.  There are flowers and trees wherever I look and below me is an incredible view you could only see in Northern Israel.  The view makes you feel peaceful and gives you so much perspective…You feel so small compared to everything else.

I wonder if you can see a view like his on Second Life. I understand there are those who for whatever reasons are unable to leave their homes and I would want for them to see photos of this place and maybe even “travel” to it on second life.  But for others who don’t have anything blocking them from experiencing the beauty of the world…….

         There are so many things that exist naturally in the world that can make us happy and content and experience beauty. If I were sitting on a patio on  second life like his one, I would see the mint growing, but I wouldn’t smell it.  I would see the sun, but I wouldn’t feel its heat on my face.  Could the cup of coffee I would be drinking possibly be as enjoyable as the one I really am drinking now? 

         I fear people are relying on technology to provide them with happiness and stress relief when the tools for these feelings are right in fornt of us already.  If I can feel so good just sitting in the world given to us, untouched, why would I want to experience virtual beauty and joy.  Is virtual happiness now real happiness as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment